Thursday, March 5, 2015

What's happenin'.

Alright, I'm back with the blog, but I'm starting from scratch. Fresh!

We're flying to San Diego in two months, from where we'll drive to Campo to start our walk at the southern terminus of the PCT. How far will I go, oh, but nobody knows! So, I've just planned to walk 2660 miles. With the huge help of Jessica's parents, Bob and Wendee, we've sealed a combined total of approximately 50 pounds of instant refried beans, 40 pounds of instant potatoes, and an incredibly large volume of brown sugar and powdered cheese. Yum! We assembled 5.5 months worth of food in 24 large flat rate boxes, which are now stacked against the wall in the Green room of the Shuell residence. Dear Mia: Warning! Keep Out! Copious amounts of Snickers and turkey jerky are bad for dogs! (And for humans?) Resupply was a huge undertaking, and I am so happy that it's approaching completion. A big thanks to B is due for the loan of the vacuum sealer! As far as my other possessions, I've rearranged them for the umpteenth time as if I was nesting in preparation for the birth of my trail life: A box for gear I'm taking, a box for gear that's staying. A milk crate or two for clothes, a crate for books, and Darth, including related bike paraphernalia. I keep looking at all of it, wondering what else I can get rid of; it feels wonderful to have less.

So, with two months to go and almost all of the preparations complete, I am happy to report that I am starting BCEP in one week, a 7-week course offered by the Mazamas where I'll learn snow, glacier, and rock climbing skills. I'll be active every weekend with my BCEP group and attend class weekly. I've recently taken a compass and navigation course with the Mazamas, and I loved the instruction I received! I am very excited to be a part of this great organization and thankful for the education they offer. I think this is going to be a great opportunity to build my knowledge, skills, and community. And I think it's an excellent place for my mind to dwell before I leave for the wilderness for 5.5 months. :)

Well, I've been fighting a cold this week and it's slowed me down a bit. I was planning to climb St. Helens Friday, but my body doesn't feel healthy enough for the challenge. Perhaps Saturday will be brighter (and my sinuses clearer). On that note, I am headed to bed for some much needed rest.

peace/love

1 comment: